Some modified drivers lack a valid driver signature and this prevents them from being installed on a 64-bit Windows OS. To bypass this restriction and be able to install those drivers you need to run Windows in Test Mode or boot Windows with "Disable driver signature enforcement" option. These methods are only needed for x64 versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019.
Page updates and announcements:
- 05 Apr 2020: Updated Test Mode batch files to v2.0, now they don't require to be launched with "Run as administrator" right click option and their window will show if errors occurred.
How to enable Test Mode
Download and run enable_testmode_v2.0.bat file. Restart PC.
Press Start->Search->type cmd then right-click on the result and click Run as administrator. In the CMD window type or copy-paste bcdedit /set testsigning on and press enter. Restart PC.
How to hide/remove the Test Mode watermark from desktop when Test Mode is enabled
If test mode is enabled you will have a text watermark on the desktop. To hide it:
- For Windows Vista/7 download this tool and check this guide on how to remove the TestMode watermark from the desktop.
- For Windows 8/8.1/10 download this tool.
How to disable Test Mode
Note: If you disable test mode while you have drivers installed that need test mode(unsigned drivers) those drivers will stop functioning.
Download and run disable_testmode_v2.0.bat file. Restart PC.
Press Start->Search->type cmd then right-click on it and click Run as administrator. In the CMD window type or copy-paste bcdedit /set testsigning off and press enter. Restart PC.
You could try this method if you don't want Windows to always run in Test Mode. Compared to always running Windows in Test Mode, the "Disable driver signature enforcement" method needs to be applied each time you install a new driver that is unsigned.
How to disable driver signature enforcement on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008
- Restart PC
- Press F8 repeatedly just after UEFI/BIOS initialization and before Windows would load
- Select "Disable driver signature enforcement" option.
- Install drivers. After you restart your system again you won't be able to install unsigned drivers until you repeat the steps 1-3.
How to disable driver signature enforcement on Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012/2016/2019
- In Windows go to PC settings (you can search for it in Start).
- Click on "Update & recovery" on the left side.
- Click on "Recovery" on the left side.
- Click "Restart Now" button under Advanced startup.
- Select Troubleshoot ->Advanced setup -> Startup Settings and press Restart
- Press 7 number key corresponding to "Disable driver signature enforcement" entry.
- Install drivers. After you restart your system again you won't be able to install unsigned drivers until you repeat the steps 1-6.
Notes about "Disable driver signature enforcement"
There is a small chance that drivers installed using this method might stop working after some time requiring another install. Causes for this are unknown.
Drivers previously installed with this method can be reinstalled without booting with "Disable driver signature enforcement" if they are not uninstalled prior to the reinstallation.
On Windows 7, there might be cases where this method will not allow those drivers to load once Windows is booted normally. If you have this problem, let me know in the comments.
|Test mode||Disable driver signature enforcement|
|installation||[+] set it and forget it||[-] redo it each time you want to install a unsigned driver|
|security||[-] always allows installation of other unsigned drivers, this allowance could be used to install malicious drivers that would be unsigned, this is a very rare possibility and should not be a problem for a system running an antivirus or if the user is cautious||[+] does not permanently allow the installation of unsigned drivers|
|additional setup||[-] watermark on desktop that requires additional steps in order to hide it||[+] no watermark on desktop|
[-] drivers may stop functioning, requiring that you reinstall them
|compatibility||[-] there are some applications, such as Battleye anticheat , that will not work while Windows is in Test Mode|