Possible reasons for the Xonar or other C-media CMI8788 chipset sound card not being detected by the Xonar or C-Media drivers are:
- You don’t have a supported audio card installed in your system or are installing incorrect drivers. For reference, supported cards by UNi Xonar drivers are:
- ASUS Xonar: DG, DGX, DG SI, DS, DSX, D1, D2, DX, D2X, HDAV, HDAV Slim, ST, STX, STX II, Xense.
- Auzentech: HDA X-Purity 7.1, X-Meridian 1G, X-Meridian 2G.
- HTOmega: Claro, Claro Plus, Claro II, Claro Halo, eClaro.
- Razer Barracuda AC-1.
- TempoTec HIFIER Serenade
- Windows Device Manager does not detect the card. Restart PC and run the installer again.
- Audio card does not have the auxiliary power properly connected. This applies only to cards that have the auxiliary power connector. Xonar DGX, Xonar DSX, Xonar DX, Xonar D2X, Essence ST, Essence STX, Essence STXII, Xense are cards that require auxiliary power.
- Audio card EEPROM is overwritten. Learn how to check card’s EEPROM and restore its original value here and here.
- Audio card needs to be reseated in the PCI or PCIe slot.
- Audio card is defective.
- The PCI or PCIe slot where the audio card is plugged-in is defective.
Applies to driver installation error messages like: “ASUS Essence STXII AUDIO Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now”, “ASUS Xonar AUDIO Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now”, “C-Media Oxygen HD Audio Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now.”, “Please plug-in C-media oxygen HD Audio Device device!”, “Please plug-in C-media oxygen HD Audio Device device!” “Please plug-in Asus Xonar DX Device!” etc.