Contact

Useful tips & suggestions | Known issues & workarounds

<-Back to the main page

1. Dynamic (fluctuating) volume when there are 2 or more active sound sources. Updated 22 Mar 2016.

Description:  When playing a game and listening to music at the same time, the volume for either of the applications will fluctuate, for example the music volume will lower down when there is a high noise coming from the game (like explosions).

I haven’t found any fix for this except the workaround that’s presented below.  From what it seems its unlikely that C-media will ever fix this on their side.

Windows XP workaround fix

Set Windows Volume to 80%-90%. I noticed that this issue is only present when Windows volume(or panel volume) is above 80-90%.  So my recommendation is to not exceed this limit.

Windows Vista/7/8/10 workaround fix

Update 22 Mar 2016: Windows Vista/7/8/10 workaround fix might not work properly. Seems the dynamic volume is a Windows issue here. I will have to do further research into this matter.

Workaround here is slightly different from the one in WinXP, you’ll have to set the volume in each application at ~ 80%-90%.  You can set Windows Volume to 100%.

Win7-safe-volume-limitOther notes:

Please note that moving the mixer playback sliders in ASUS Audio Center above “76” or moving digital volume sliders in C-Media Control Panel above “0” dB will cause the same issues.

Until further notice, all driver versions (UNi or Asus) have this problem.

This page is only for discussing the problems and solutions described above. For general help, comment on the main UNi Xonar page.

1. Miguel    06 May 2013 @ 22:16

Would be great if u could add 30 band EQ so we can get flatter response from speakers ,

• CarvedInside    07 May 2013 @ 00:45

Sorry can’t do that.
      I have to say you are posting in the wrong section. This isn’t “tips and suggestions” from you to me. Instead, like you see in the content of this page, me giving you guys suggestions. For things that do not have a dedicated page, comment on the main Xonar page.

• Daniel    18 Oct 2013 @ 04:18

Thank you so much for your work with these drivers. I appreciate it.

2. Vavooon    04 Jun 2013 @ 23:41

Hi . I have installed UNi driver with ASIO 1.0 on Win8 x64 and it (ASIO) doesnt work.
    It shows message “Not Enough ASIO output channels available. At least 2 Channels are needed ” When i select ASIO in FL Studio.
    Standart version (2.0) works well.

3. Ludvig    17 Jun 2013 @ 14:22

Could someone pls explain the stereo upmix issue and why it was “fixed” in your drivers? I have installed your driver because the original from asus keeps bugging out after some time constantly creating distortion and the likes, but with the original driver I have never had an issue with any upmixing from stereo to 5.1 unless I explicitly turned those settings on in the Xonar panel.

I’m probably not understanding it correctly so pls explain to me someone 🙂

(Old driver) I mean when I set sound channels to 2 channels for stereo sound input from source, i´m telling my sound card that there is a stereo signal incoming, so in order for that signal not to get upmixed to 5.1 I also need to turn of any dolby upmixing Tech eg. Pro Logic, Virtual speaker etc. So I get no upmix, regardless if i have a 5.1 speaker system, or any other, installed.
    Are you telling me I do get an upmix, but I just don’t understand or hear that I do?

And if say I play a game I set the channels to 6 or 8 channels depending on the games sound output capabilities. Effectivly telling my soundcard there is a surround sound signal incoming, so depending on what speaker set I have installed, be it Headphones or 5.1, the Xonar panel then suggests the appropriate Dolby technology to use to upmix, or unchecking by itself if no upmix is necessary.

Now I mostly use headphones and upmixing to 5.1 with dolby headphone tech. Say I play BF3 I most certanly set channels to 6 since the game supports 5.1 output, I then use dolby headphone Tech to make sure the soundcard delivers this signal as 5.1 to my otherwise plain stereo headphones. Listening to Music I set channels to 2 and if I don’t want it to upmix I simply select the pre set HiFI or uncheck any dolby upmixing Tech.

Where I to have a 5.1 speaker set I would simply put 6 channels when playing and the Xonar panel would not even suggest any dolby Tech since no upmix is necessary.

The internet is full of confusion about the xonar panel and the channel input and speaker output, everyone has a different opinion, to me it is as clear as Daylight. That is unless i´m completely wrong ofc 🙂

Am I utterly stupid seeing it this way?

Also if I wan’t this particular part of your driver to work as it did Before with the old driver should I install with the option “re-enable stereo upmix”?

• CarvedInside    17 Jun 2013 @ 17:03

Wrong section!

Please read the parts about stereo upmix in UNi Xonar features and the FAQ.If you are on Win Vista/7/8 there isn’t much to be bothered with, just leave “re-enable stereo upmix” checked.

4. Ludvig    17 Jun 2013 @ 22:16

Sorry about the section miss, and thank you for your answer and hard work.

5. Scure    26 Jun 2013 @ 18:47

What if you “delete” SVN from drivers? Maybe SVN works in a different way even if you disable it.

6. Peter van Velzen    14 Dec 2013 @ 10:06

I have an Xonar STX card that is preventing the system from sleeping. Do your drivers fix this problem?

7. Ben    03 Jan 2014 @ 07:01

Peter van Velzen, I think these drivers may have fixed the sleeping issue but I think changing my motherboard actually did fix the problem.

8. frx    13 Jan 2014 @ 17:59

Hello!
    I just buy xonar d1 and UNiXonar drivers i’d installed (driver version 1822, Win7 64bit).
    A little bug: periodically (i have 2 times) right channel turned off, but a simple reboot helps.
    I don’t know what it is, but i think this is a problem with a software.

Hope this report will help make UNiXonar driver better.

• Igor    14 Jan 2014 @ 18:21

Not a fix but a tip. You don’t have to reboot the PC, just open Device Manager, find your Xonar D1, then disable it and enable it again.

• CarvedInside    14 Jan 2014 @ 18:37

Hi.
      Just so you know, you will have this issue with original drivers as well. Reports of people having this issue date back to almost 3 years.
      There are only a few that had this issue and I suspect this issue is either because of faulty cards or a incompatibility with some motherboards. If you can try your card in another PC that would clarify which one is it. You should consider RMAing the card. Also you might consider trying to contact Asus about this.

Please let us know of any developments.

• shiloh    15 May 2014 @ 23:00

I have this issue also. It only started after installing Windows 8. The same Xonar card and motherboard have worked fine for years under windows 7. Never lost the right channel. I suspect it is software/driver related.

9. bryan    24 Jan 2014 @ 09:07

could use some help here
    using latest uni drivers (1.72) with xonar essence ST on windows 8 (not 8.1) and regular use works well
    but when I open a DAW and select ASUS Xonar ASIO x64 driver, the volume is REALLY loud and changing the volume sliders in windows does nothing, I gotta turn down the daw master volume everytime and its annoying
    am I dumb or is this normal
    using WASAPI or ASIO4ALL selections in the DAW seems to work just fine and have normal volume but ya

• CarvedInside    24 Jan 2014 @ 11:25

Most likely it’s normal, that’s how ASIO works (but not ASIO4ALL), it is not affected by Windows Volume. ASIO Volume is only controlled by that specific application if it allows.

10. Alt    17 Feb 2014 @ 14:25

Hello.
    I want to inform that problem with “Dynamic (fluctuating) volume” (and partly ‘Can’t use ASIO in multiple apps at the same time’) can be fixed somehow using ASIO Bridge.
    It’s donateware (use for free, donate if you want to) driver/tool that allows you to use ASIO in other interfaces (KernelStreaming, WASAPI, DirectSound, MME/Wave) meaning you can use in almost any application. “ASIO Bridge” through Virtual Audio Cable (“VB-Audio HiFi Cable”, built-in) route signals into an ASIO Device.
    I tried it using it with DirectSound player (xmplay) and browser/game audio. Sound doesn’t get lower in “background” audio source when you open new one. Also you’ll get better quality and reduced latency.
    On the downside you can’t control master volume (but can control “Wave” volume of the “Hi-Fi Cable” (which is basically the same but you need to go into audio device properties and can’t use multimedia keys without some additional tools) and sometimes (when you rewind in player or start new song that has now silence at the beggining; when you play some games with many loud sounds (e.g. GTA: San Andreas)) there can be small ‘drops/crackles’ for a part of a second (actually it also happens in other Virtual Audio Cables, more or less). Still I find this App great and strongly recommend it.
    Check pdf and pictures on the official website http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm for information about settings and how to use. In short you just needs to install it, reboot PC, run ‘ASIO Bridge’ (it needs to be running all time but there’s tray/autostart option which author kindly added by request), select your ASIO driver. Finally select “VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable” as default Windows device for output.

11. Alt    22 Feb 2014 @ 02:01

Some additional notes regarding Xonar ASIO in ASIO Bridge:
    1) You need to configure Xonar ASIO before selecting it in “ASIO Bridge Control Panel”. By default Xonar ASIO is configured to 16-Bit Bit-Depth. It’s not acceptable for ASIO Bridge and you will get crash upon selecting Xonar ASIO as A.S.I.O Device. 24 and 32 Bits are acceptable.
    2) With 24 Bits BitDepth ASIO Bridge doesn’t set correct Sample Rate for Xonar ASIO. With 32 Bits SR sets fine.
    E.g. you play music with 44.1 KHz SR, then close it and start some DVD (where 48 KHz is SR standard for audio track). Normally ASIO Bridge should set SR in Xonar ASIO to 48 KHz but that doesn’t happen resulting sound artifacts (pops & crackles).
    These issues discovered under XP x86. Things may be different for newer OS.

12. DarkStorm    15 Mar 2014 @ 21:57

Has anyone managed to figure out a fix for the sound from different sources issue ?

Especially have an issue with Google Talk where whenever an IM comes through and im listening to music the sound skips to allow the IM’s sound ?

13. Slark    25 Apr 2014 @ 18:34

I have a xonar d1 and my volume is lower when I use Uni xonar drivers instead of the official ones, anyone else with this problem?

14. Pjstaab    07 May 2014 @ 10:36

I’m having trouble using optical and analog outputs at the same time. If I enable SPDIF output it mirrors my headphone output and I don’t want that. If I set foobar2000 to optical everything else will come through both SPDIF and analog will music just comes out of SPDIF.

15. Ryan Conway    13 Jun 2014 @ 13:34

Im using Windows 8.1 and everytime I start my computer the Dolby Digital Live setting defaults back to PCM. Any idea why this is happening?

AdminAuthorFeaturedBuried