If you have hissing, buzzing or crackling noises coming from the speakers or headphones or if people you talk to using the microphone complain that they hear buzzing noises coming from your end, you could try the following solutions to solve this:
- If you are using the case front panel connection then try connecting the speaker system, headphones, or microphone directly to the card. If the issue is resolved and you still want to use the front panel connection read this (archive.org).
- Connect your PC to a grounded electric outlet. If the connection to the ground works properly, you will not feel any current when touching and moving your fingers on the metal parts of your PC case.
- The problem might be from too much EMI (Electromagnetic interference):
- Move the sound card farther away from the GPU.
- Make an EMI shield for your sound card (#1, #2). If you care about esthetics you can do something like this, but first make sure it works with the aluminum sheet.
- Especially if the noises are caused when the video card is in use, undervolt the video card:
- For Nvidia cards check this guide. You can also try this in conjunction with slightly lowering the clocks and/or the Power Limit.
- For AMD Radeon cards I recommend you use MSI Afterburner and offset negatively the voltage by as much as possible. You can also try this in conjunction with slightly lowering the clocks and or the Power Limit.
- You can find noise isolators that you connect to the sound card analog output but I won't recommend these as they might lower the sound quality (#1, #2).
- For microphone buzzing, you could try connecting to the onboard cards microphone input if you have a dedicated sound card and use its microphone input.
If none of these work your only option would be to go with an external audio card or DAC or use the S/PDIF audio output if you have a receiver or speakers that have S/PDIF input.
- ASUS Xonar DG, Xonar DGX, Xonar DG SI, Xonar DS, Xonar DSX, Xonar D1, Xonar D2, Xonar DX, Xonar D2X, Xonar HDAV, Xonar HDAV Slim, Xonar Essence ST, Xonar Essence STX, Xonar Essence STX II, Xonar Xense, Xonar AE 7.1, Xonar SE, ROG Xonar Phoebus, ROG Thunderbolt and Xonar D-Kara
- C-Media CMI8786, CMI8787 and CMI8788 audio chip based cards: Auzentech X-Meridian & X-Meridian 2G; HT Omega Claro, Claro Plus, Claro II, Claro Halo, eClaro; Razer Barracuda AC-1; AIM Audio SC8000
- ASUS Strix Raid and Strix Soar; ASUS SupremeFX
- Creative Sound Blaster Z, Sound Blaster Zx, Sound Blaster ZxR, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Sound BlasterX AE-9 and Sound Blaster Audigy
- Realtek ALC1220, ALC1150, ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC886, ALC887, ALC888, ALC889, ALC892, ALC898, ALC899
- EVGA NU Audio and NU Audio Pro