With Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 update) and version 1809 (October 2018 Update), Microsoft changed the behavior of camera app access setting so that it affects desktop applications as well.
- 9 Feb 2019: Updated the guide to include suggestion about turning on the camera for Win32WebViewHost app
- 18 May 2018: Article published
To fix this do the following:
1. Go to Windows settings and select Privacy.
2. Select Camera and switch on the “Allow apps to access your camera” toggle.
3. Under “Choose which apps can access your camera” check that Win32WebViewHost (later renamed as “Desktop App Web Viewer”) is turned on as some desktop applications will need it.
4. Restart those applications where you’ve wanted to use the camera/webcam.
5. (Optional) To block apps access to camera you will have to toggle camera off for each app.You will have to do this after each new app you install. It’s recommended that you do not turn off the camera access for Win32WebViewHost (later named as “Desktop App Web Viewer”) as some desktop applications will need it.