Notes about issues and fixes for audio cards and Windows 10. For the list that includes ASUS Xonar specific issues check here.
Windows 10 multiple versions notes
Possible issues and fixes:
- Microphone not working – Check this guide. (thanks Shane)
- Audio crashes – If you have “Dolby Atmos for Headphone” app installed you should remove it and replace it with the updated “Dolby Access” app in order to avoid audiosvr process stack overflow errors that are crashing the audio subsystem. (thanks Chris Leipold)
- Popping and cracking sounds – If you have a AMD graphics card, try disabling AMD High Definition Audio Device from Device Manager->”Sound, video and game controllers”. It’s possible to try the same steps for Nvidia HD Audio Device if you have a Nvidia card. (thanks Marc)
- The number of audio channels resets itself back to 2 or can’t change to more than 2 channels(stereo) – This might be caused by having enabled one of the Spatial Sound options (Windows Sonic for Headphones, Dolby Access, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, DTS Sound Unbound). Check that Spatial Sound is Off by right-clicking on Windows Volume tray icon.
- Sound playback echos. Issues within Windows 10 might cause the enabling of different sound settings, one of them causes sound playback echos that are more or less evident. To ensure you always get the best audio quality it might worth checking this from time to time. See Fix sound echos in Windows.
- No system sounds. See these solutions.
Windows 10 version specific notes > Find out which Windows version you have installed.
Windows 10 version 1903 (April 2019 Update) notes
- Windows 10 1903 Has a Nasty Audio Stutter Bug Microsoft Hasn’t Managed to Fix
- Windows 10 KB4515384 is now causing audio issues on some PCs
- Windows Sound is no longer accessible from Windows Volume-> Sounds. If you want to control the playback devices, recording devices, Windows sounds you can open Windows Sound by typing in search: “change system sounds“ or by going to Control Panel->Sound.
Useful for sound cards like:
- ASUS Xonar U1, Xonar U3, Xonar U5, Xonar U7, Xonar AE 7.1, Xonar SE, Xonar EssenceOne, Xonar Essence STU, ROG Xonar Phoebus, ROG Thunderbolt and Xonar D-Kara
- ASUS Strix Raid and Strix Soar
- Creative Sound Blaster Z, Sound Blaster Zx, Sound Blaster ZxR, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Sound BlasterX AE-9, Sound BlasterX G5, Sound BlasterX G6, SXFI AMP and Sound Blaster Audigy.
- Realtek ALC1220, ALC1150, ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC886, ALC887, ALC888, ALC889, ALC892, ALC898, ALC899
- EVGA NU Audio
- ASUS SupremeFX, etc.