Some AMD AM4 motherboards (Ryzen CPUs) have some compatibility issues with ASUS Xonar sound cards. These issues will manifest as system rebooting when installing Xonar drivers and when changing various Xonar settings such as switching to headphones. Below you have a list that I’ve compiled with some of the user reports about the compatibility status of their Xonar card and an AM4 motherboard. The list will be periodically updated.
Note that the compatibility status may vary depending on BIOS version, it may vary depending on which Xonar card do you have, if it’s a PCIe or PCI card, if it’s a STX II card which has ASMedia PCI-to-PCIe bridge instead of the PLX PCI-to-PCIe bridge that the rest of Xonar cards have, it may be affected by whether the Xonar card was plugged in a PCIe slot that is connected to the chipset or one that is connected to the CPU (1st and 2nd x16 slots on X370, X470, X570 motherboards).
|Audio card||Motherboard||Works||Doesn’t work|
|Xonar DSX||MSI X570 Meg Ace||#1|
|Xonar STX II||Asrock X370 Taichi||#1|
|Xonar STX II||ASUS Prime B450-Plus||#1|
|Xonar STX II||Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7||#1|
|Xonar STX II||Gigabyte B450 Aorus M||#1|
|Xonar STX II||Asus TUF X470-Plus Gaming||#1|
|Xonar STX II||ASUS X370 Prime||#1|
|Xonar STX II||MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC||#1|
|Xonar STX II||Asus X470 Prime Pro||#1?|
|Xonar STX||ASUS Prime X470||#1|
|Xonar ST||ASUS Prime B350 Plus||#1, #2|
|Xonar ST||MSI B350 Tomahawk||#1|
|Xonar ST||ASUS Prime X370-a||#1|
|Xonar D2X||Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4||#1|
|Xonar DGX||Asrock AB350M Pro4||#1|
|Xonar DX||Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4||#1|
List will be periodically updated.
Is there something that can be done to fix the compatibility issues?
Try the following:
- Update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.
- Install UNi Xonar v1.71.1 driver as it might reduce the frequency of these issues.
- If you’re using the Windows installation from your previous system, do a clean Windows install.
- Move the card to a different PCIe slot, try one that is connected directly to the CPU (1st and 2nd x16 slots on X370, X470, X570 motherboards).
ASUS official FAQ response about these issues here.
- ASUS Xonar DG, Xonar DGX, Xonar DG SI, Xonar DS, Xonar DSX, Xonar D1, Xonar D2, Xonar DX, Xonar D2X, Xonar HDAV, Xonar HDAV Slim, Xonar Essence ST, Xonar Essence STX, Xonar Essence STX II, Xonar Xense.
- Other C-media CMI8786 and CMI8788 audio chipset cards:
- Auzentech: HDA X-Purity 7.1, X-Meridian 1G, X-Meridian 2G.
- HTOmega: Claro, Claro Plus, Claro II, Claro Halo, eClaro.
- Razer Barracuda AC-1.
- TempoTec HIFIER Serenade.
- AMD B350, X370, B450, X470, X570, A320, x399 chipset motherboards.